From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:52:52
Hi

> Quick question and slightly OT > > How do others setup their own "profile"? > > I'm thinking that I try to sync a base /etc/make.conf across quite a few > machines and whilst each machine slightly customises this, it would be > really nice to have a master set of USE defaults and package.use / > package.keywords options > > I presume one needs to simply setup the profile somewhere outside of the > /portage directory and then reference it? Any thing else needed other > than a "parent" file pointing back at the real base profile?
Yes, you only need an independent profile directory (ex. /usr/local/portage/profiles/your-profile) and a parent file if you want to "inherit" other profiles. I usually reference the current profile and remove or add packages from the default packages file. This is especially handy if you're doing binary-only installations where build-time dependency aren't required. Furthermore you can enforce package versions, for example
>=sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0 to get the new baselayout/openrc by default.
> Any other tips from others who do something like this?
I use nested profiles for different types of servers, like real and virtual ones. For example I have /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile/vserver /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile/carrier The first one acts as a base profile for both, virtual servers and carrier systems. In a virtual server I don't need any hardware or kernel related packages, whereas the carrier requires some utile for managing the virtual servers etc. Regards Chris