From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter@××××××××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:52:52
1 Hi
2
3 > Quick question and slightly OT
4 >
5 > How do others setup their own "profile"?
6 >
7 > I'm thinking that I try to sync a base /etc/make.conf across quite a few
8 > machines and whilst each machine slightly customises this, it would be
9 > really nice to have a master set of USE defaults and package.use /
10 > package.keywords options
11 >
12 > I presume one needs to simply setup the profile somewhere outside of the
13 > /portage directory and then reference it? Any thing else needed other
14 > than a "parent" file pointing back at the real base profile?
15
16 Yes, you only need an independent profile directory (ex.
17 /usr/local/portage/profiles/your-profile) and a parent file if you want
18 to "inherit" other profiles. I usually reference the current profile and
19 remove or add packages from the default packages file. This is
20 especially handy if you're doing binary-only installations where
21 build-time dependency aren't required.
22
23 Furthermore you can enforce package versions, for example
24 >=sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0 to get the new baselayout/openrc by default.
27 > Any other tips from others who do something like this?
28
29 I use nested profiles for different types of servers, like real and
30 virtual ones.
31 For example I have
32 /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile
33 /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile/vserver
34 /usr/local/portage/profiles/my-profile/carrier
35
36 The first one acts as a base profile for both, virtual servers and
37 carrier systems. In a virtual server I don't need any hardware or kernel
38 related packages, whereas the carrier requires some utile for managing
39 the virtual servers etc.
40
41 Regards
42 Chris