From: Isaac Chanin <ic00000@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Some PaX (and newbie) Questions
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 06:53:15
1
Well, i was directed to asking here from the networking/security forums, which seemed like a good idea for the question that i had:  I was wondering what I have to do to get all of the PaX options selected in the kernel to be in effect for all programs.  It seems like going through my entire system with paxctl cannot be the correct way to do this.
2
3 It did occur to me that this might be the default behavior, but it wouldn't appear to be, as gcc has had no problems with compilations (and the trampoline emuklation was not selected in the kernel, nor was gcc exempted from any of the enabled restrictions) so it would appear that, at least for gcc, the PaX protections aren't enabled, and hence i assume they aren't for anything else (I actually couldn't confirm this after a few, probably misguided, attempts at paxctl -PEMRXS *).
6 So, that's my question, sorry if it's incredibly obvious, or if this is the totally wrong mailing list for it, or whatnot - I'm just kind of lost with trying to figure this out figured following the advice from the forums couldn't hurt.
7
8 Thanks!
MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � FREE download!
11 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list