From: Adam Mondl <tocharian@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Confusing documentation
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:16:12
1 On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:12 +0000, David Cannings wrote:
2 > The page at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/propolice.xml
3 > suggests the following regarding SSP:
4 >
5 > "If you would the protection on by default add -fstack-protector to your
6 > CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf."
7 >
8 > However, this is contradicted by other pages on the hardened project
9 > website which say USE="hardened" is the correct way. Obviously
10 > USE="hardened" is correct (as it implies -fstack-protector-all), but the
11 > above could confuse people.
12 >
13 > I arrived at that page from the grsecurity/PaX documentation at
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity2.xml, I can't see it
15 > linked elsewhere but I haven't looked exhaustively.
16 >
17 > The rest of the documentation is great, it seems the Gentoo documents
18 > cover more than the grsecurity ones in some aspects. I've now got a
19 > kernel with PaX/grsecurity and I'm just rebuilding world to get SSP.
20
21 Unfortunately that propolice document is outdated in several aspects and
22 shouldn't be linked by any current documents so thanks for pointing this
23 out. I am in the process of writing a more complete and up-to-date SSP
24 guide that will replace that guide in the future.
25
26 For now the most up-to-date explanation regarding turning on SSP
27 building is probably in the Hardened FAQ:
28
29 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml#hardenedcflags
32 Adam Mondl <tocharian@××××××.org>