From: Chris Richards <gizmo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux base policy r2 in hardened-dev overlay
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:02:49
1 > Okay, but what is this "in-depth" change that I was talking about. Well,
2 > SELinux policies support labeled init scripts. For instance,
3 > "slapd_initrc_exec_t" which allows the init script to run in an init
4 > script
5 > domain specific for slapd (splad_initrc_t). This allows for slapd-specific
6 > allow statements (for instance PID file management) from within the init
7 > script.
8 >
9 > All fine, but Gentoo doesn't use that. We run all our scripts in initrc_t
10 > instead. Why? Because we support "integrated run_init support", which
11 > allows
12 > our users to just call "/etc/init.d/slapd start" instead of "run_init
13 > /etc/init.d/slapd start". But this integrated run_init support
14 > automatically
15 > transitions all scripts to initrc_t (and not slapd_initrc_t). And changing
16 > this to support the named init scripts isn't straight forward (well, I
17 > hope
18 > I eventually find a straight-forward method, but until now I didn't
19 > succeed).
20 >
21 > Yet we will eventually need to support this, because otherwise we need to
22 > "open" the privileges on initrc_t towards all potential services. Not only
23 > does that require lots of work, it also brings in patches in our policy
24 > that
25 > upstream will never accept (and they're right not to accept it).
26
27 Ok, I buy the argument. Is this a shortcoming in the old bash init, or is
28 this a shortcoming in OpenRC?
29
30 I'm starting to see a little more free time from my job and might be able
31 to tackle some things starting in a couple of weeks.
32
33 Gizmo