From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] systrace observations
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:55:39
1 This last week I have been taking a look at systrace, since first hearing
2 about it on this list. For a while I have been looking for a "better chroot"
3 for securing some daemons, and I think systrace could be it.
4
5 Maintaining a systrace policy for a large daemon (I am working with Zope) is
6 easier than for chroot, because there is no need to maintain a seperate set
7 of files (or bind mounts) for the jail. This is particularly obvious when
8 there are multiple instances of each daemon.... They can share one systrace
9 policy, but a chroot solution would need seperate jails for each instance.
10
11 The performance impact seems negligible, and the ability to log the use of
12 incidental system calls is an unexpected bonus for intrusion detection.
15 Is anyone looking at merging systrace with gentoo-sources? The 2003-03-22
16 patch has some easily resolved conflicts when merged with gentoo-sources, it
17 compiles fine, but systrace doesnt function correctly when stressed. (more
18 details available on request).
21 Toby Dickenson
22 http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson
25 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list