From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] My first hardened install
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 08:16:16
1 Matt Poletiek wrote:
2
3 >> > What do I lose by disabling it? If I am reading this correctly all the
4 >> > grsec features will be on by default if sysctl support is disabled?
5
6 >> The reason it's killing the hardened features is you can do
7 >> something like "sysctl -w someHardenedFeature=0" to disable it. I'm
8 >> sure others will have a much better explanation, but I believe
9 >> disabling sysctl will be the quick and proper fix.
10
11 > If I make the change will I have to recompile the toolchain&userland?
12 > Just booting the new kernel didnt fix anything.
13
14 Enabling or disabling grsec's sysctl support requires only a kernel
15 compile and reboot into the new kernel. Your experience simply shows
16 that sysctl support wasn't the problem.
17
18 Cheers
19
20 Andrew