From: Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o>
To: aeriksson@××××××××.fm
Cc: cpufreqd-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net, Barry Dunn <lists@×××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] cpufreqd-1.1.1 segmentation fault with hardened
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:46:17
1 aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
2
3 >>please try chpaxing or paxctling it:
4 >>
5 >>chpax -pemsrv or paxctl --help
6 >>
7 >>and then find out which protection needs to be disabled, reenable all
8 >>the others and tell us what thing you had to turn on/off to make it work.
9 >>
10 >>i doubt its the hardened and i assume its some kind of memory access/io
11 >>access that leads it to fail.
15 > I recently hacked a bit on cpufreqd (unapplied) and discovered that
16 > adding elements to the middle of its structures resulted in data
17 > corruption. My (limited) investigations suggested that some users of
18 > the structs assume a certain layout for memcpy operations. Adding my
19 > stuff to the end of the structures fixed it for me.
20 >
21 > I'm clueless about pax and hardening, but maybe some over optimistic
22 > parts of the code got trapped by the pax magic?
23 >
24 > /A
28 > --
29 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
30 >
31 yes, and the paxctl and chpax ops also REMOVE the ability to randomize
32 with certain arguments, so keep on trying, my friends and tell me back
33 what you got,
34
35 TIA
36
37 Alex
40 Chaos is just a perceptional disorder of reality.
43 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list