From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SSP + setjmp() = badness?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:03:22
1 On 2 Aug 2006 at 0:35, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > I think solar's referring to -fno-stack-protector-all. Not too worried
3 > about that myself, I think we can hide the change in semantics in
4 > flag-o-matic.eclass - actual ebuild use of -fno-stack-protector-all is
5 > rare.
6
7 or we could patch that option in, i guess the 4.x version of ssp
8 can also be convinced to apply to all functions.
9
10 > It's that gcc-4.x doesn't pass the caller information (function name
11 > and line number) to _stack_chk_fail.
12
13 that too can be patched in, but even without this information it
14 is still better than nothing (i guess the assumption was that one
15 would get a coredump on abort() and could deduce all that and more
16 from there).
17
18 > I've been thinking that a PaX-style register, stack and perhaps map dump
19 > might be a good idea for development environments at least.
20
21 a coredump already has all that info, although it's not as easy to
22 make use of as dr watson on windows yet, but that'll change when
23 utrace (http://people.redhat.com/roland/utrace/) enters mainline.
26 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list