From: Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] gcc/glibc and hardened/server profiles
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:28:38
1 Probably not, but if you have an idea about how Gentoo works, you should
2 know that there is no significant advantage with such a profile. All
3 available ebuilds will install their latest and greatest version.
4 Upgrading a profile when it goes stable (f.i. from default-linux/x86/2006.1
5 to default-linux/x86/2007.0) will not trigger any major updates to your
6 system, because the latest updates are already installed.
7
8 When problems exist with packages within a profile, f.i. with the gcc and
9 glibc ebuilds in the hardened profile, these problems will need to be sorted
10 out first. A new profile will not give us a magic solution to the problems
11 with these ebuilds.
12
13 So just use a 2006.1/server or a hardened profile for your install, there
14 is not major advantage to wait for the release of 2007.0 (unless you want
15 a really uptodate cd installer).
16
17 Good luck,
18 Tom