From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RFC: Removing -unicode from all hardened profiles
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:02:38
1 On 23/04/2012 19:17, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:26:19 -0400
3 > Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >
5 >> 3) I agree that hardened should be mostly off by default. Eg. ipv6 is
6 >> off by default. But as pressure mounts the switch to on by default may
7 >> have to occur as it has now with unicode and will happen some day with ipv6.
8 > Good stuff.
9 >
10 > There was a nasty input sanitisation avoiding bug in PHP that only
11 > affected linux boxes with unicode enabled terminals. Maybe these bug
12 > types have something to do with it.
13 >
14 > I'd be in two minds, personally I can't remember using unicode on a
15 > terminal and you could use base64 as a workaround. Many many will use it
16 > though, so the default should be enabled.
19 Equally I would be thinking that we can find some bugs due to unicode
20 being off? Whether they would cause "security" failures is another matter.
21
22 It's probably on the tipping point that ipv6/unicode needs decent testing
23
24 Ed W