From: Michael Ihde <ihde@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: tdbrown@××××.edu
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux security in the face of single bit errors
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:52:35
1 Hey all,
2
3 I'm taking a graduate level Fault Tolerant Computing course. My partner
4 and I intend on injecting single bit faults into the data and text
5 sections of Gentoo SELinux to see if such faults can compromise system
6 security. While it is obvious that a single bit error in some
7 structures, such as the AVC allowed field or the selinux_enforcing, can
8 open an SELinux system for a period of time. We want to look for less
9 obvious holes which may be realized by a single bit flip (also called
10 soft-errors). Our plan is to run a User-mode SELinux kernel and use the
11 ptrace interface to inject errors in the SELinux text section and/or
12 data section. The kernel will execute a test program as init which will
13 attempt to violate the SELinux policy by writing to a protected file
14 with mod=777 and then shutdown the system. Given more time we would
15 like to violate other things than simple file permissions.
16
17 We are aware that the impact of a transient single bit errors depends on
18 how long the bit-error lasts. In the case of an bit error in the AVC it
19 may only last a short time (when the avc entry is overwritten) or a long
20 time. Bit errors in the text segment may last longer depending on the
21 particulars of the OS. We are not planning to measure the time that a
22 particular bits creates a vulnerability, we have limited time to get
23 results and the parameter is heavily dependant on the enviroment. We
24 will include this cavot in our report.
25
26 Our project was inspired by the following papers:
27
28 * "An Experimental Study of Security Vulnerabilities Caused by
29 Errors"
30 Jun Xu, Shuo Chen, Abigniew Kalbarczyk, Ravishankar K. Iyer
31
32 * "Using Memory Errors to Attack a Virtual Machine", Sudhakar
33 Govindavajhala, Andrew W. Appel
34
35 * "Framework for Testing the Fault-Tolerance of Systems Including OS
36 and Network Aspects", Kerstin Buchacker, Volkmar Sieh (HASE '01)
37
38 If you have any comments or suggestions we would love to hear them. To
39 save traffic on the mailing list you can add your comments to
40
41 http://www.randomwalking.com/cgi-bin/kwiki/index.cgi?ECE442OutsideComments
42
43 ~Michael Ihde & Tom Brown