From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:19:12
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:44:37 +0100
2 Javier Juan Martínez Cabezón wrote:
3
4 > ¿What can't you understand that you CAN translate one exploit in C in perl?
5 >
6 > Are you joking? any user can write in their home directories their own
7 > perl exploits. You can't restrict that.
10 You know you can. No perl binary, or chmod 750 or rbac as I had said.
11 All exploits are bugs and it should be harder to escalate priviledges
12 through perl than by introducing your own C.
15 > You can only restrict them
16 > under rbac which scripts can be interpreted even for root, removing
17 > execution to perl binary doesn't solve anything, because root can
18 > still using it.
21 You are simplifying everything, security is a process. Noexec is a
22 useful tool. How much of what I said did you read. I understand your
23 points and most security has nothing to do with root. I understand root
24 can execute files chmodded 000 and I agree that RBAC is useful, the
25 point is so is noexec and systrace.
28 > I think that you don't understand the term rbac, rbac removes root.
29 > ROOT doesn't exists anymore.
30 > Before talking what rbac does or not first read a bit what is it
31 > because you don't understand it. Here you has info:
32
33 No it doesn't it restricts root. An exploit may bypass RBAC it may
34 bypass mount restrictions it may bypass both it may only bypass one, in
35 which case they are both again useful.
36
37 And OpenBSDs systrace can restrict a lot. System calls are the
38 hearts heart of an OS.