From: Michael Carns <mike@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Why is there no AMD64 selinux+hardened+multilib profile?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:57:33
1 I've been running a server in an amd64 hardened+selinux+multilib
2 configuration for quite a while now. Initially I used a selinux profile
3 and just added USE="hardened pic pie ssp", etc to my make.conf.
4 However, when the issues related to gcc-4 appeared I decided I really
5 needed to switch to a true hardened profile since I didn't want to
6 emerge glibc-2.4 and gcc-4 by accident.
7
8 I went looking for an appropriate amd64 profile, but I didn't find one.
9 I went ahead and created one by merging the selinux amd64 profile with
10 the hardened/multilib profile into my overlay in /usr/local/portage.
11 While this setup succeeds in masking off the undesired versions of gcc
12 and glibc, it forces me to manually keep the profile in sync with the
13 main portage tree.
14
15 Is there some reason that this profile combination doesn't exist in
16 /usr/portage? Am I using an unsupported configuration and have just
17 been lucky for well over a year? Is this arch combination missing a
18 maintainer?
19
20 Thanks,
21 Mike Carns