From: jeremy@××××××××××.com
To: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-hardened@g.o, gentoo-security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of ebuild signing in portage
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:58:42
1 It sounds like a lot of work has been done on this.
2
3 My biggest concern is that this seems to be ignoring the projects that
4 are already signing their packages. I know that many projects already
5 sign their packages (check out Apache, MySQL, etc) and I believe that
6 your proposed implementation is disregarding these signatures and the
7 existing web of trust that they represent.
8
9 With your way of doing it, if I'm understanding correctly, you're
10 ensuring that the ebuild we download is as the ebuild author intended
11 it. But, are we sure that the tarball that is downloaded by the ebuild
12 is as the package creator intended it? Are we checking that Apache
13 signed the package that is being downloaded? I know an MD5 sum is
14 checked, but where does that come from? Does the ebuild maintainer
15 get that from the same site that the tarball comes from? What if the
16 tarball is trojaned and then the md5 sum is replaced?
17
18 Is there a way to incorporate this existing method instead of
19 replacing it or ignoring it? The reason it's called a Web Of Trust
20 is that existing keys can be used to verify new,unknonw, keys. By
21 disregarding the existing practice of signing distributed packages,
22 I'm not sure that this implementation is truly using that existing
23 practice that works when utilized properly.
24
25 Otherwise, great work! I'm looking forward to using this on a daily
26 basis.
27
28 jeremy
31 Jeremy Kelley <jeremy@××××××××××.com>
32 Information Security Analyst
33 Jeremy's opinions are not the official opinion of IBM.
36 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list