From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive (WAS: latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:18:38
1 On 15 Feb 2008 at 8:25, Geoff Kassel wrote:
2
3 > Hmm... what about a store-to-disk serialisation of the affected process and
4 > running dependencies? (I'm thinking along the lines of certain fault-tolerant
5 > kernels that do check-pointing of memory state here.) This is so that
6 > application state can be restored from disk if required by an administrator.
7
8 that would work except writing something like that is very hard, definitely
9 beyond my time just for the sake to handle something that a coredump
10 accomplishes well sans resurrection ability.
11
12 on a sidenote, why would it be acceptable to store a process image on disk
13 whereas a coredump isn't?
14
15 > I know I'm speaking from a position of ignorance of the inner workings of PaX
16 > here, but what if in the case of a non-executable page fault (this being the
17 > case I'm more concerned about) the non-executable marking could be overridden
18 > at the discrestion of the administrator (or preset new PaX marking) in order
19 > to allow the process to continue? I'm thinking about cases like Mono and
20 > Java, which seem (to my inexperienced eye) to be trying to execute data
21 > segments containing generated code, because they're compiling said code at
22 > run-time.
23 >
24 > If there could be a check so that the page being marked executable is one that
25 > belongs to the fault-triggering process, that would handle these cases in an
26 > admittedly less secure, but a more useable way.
27
28 uhm, but you already have such a control over per-process PaX features.
29 either paxctl (which marks the executable's ELF header) or MAC system
30 (both grsec and RSBAC provide controls). or i must be not getting your
31 problem ;-).
34 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list