From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Downgrading glibc
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:28:34
1 On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:51:49 -0400, Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 12:34 -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
4 >> I went through the gcc upgrade and discovered that ssp no longer works
5 >> (suppose it was documented somewhere - but I missed it)
6 >>
7 >> So I'm trying to reverse the upgrade process (this time using using a
8 >> hardened profile) and glibc won't allow me to downgrade.
9 >>
10 >> How do I get around this, please?
11 >>
12 >> I've considered hacking the script/size/md5 tests, but would prefer to
13 >> do
14 >> it the proper way.
15 >
16 > There is no safe way to really downgrade glibc with portage.
17 > So.. Your choices are.
18 > 1) keep the glibc.
19 > 2) reinstall
22 Thanks for the reply.
23
24 Worked around the downgrade check - heh, that proved a mess.
25
26 Couldn't compile the later glibc with the earlier gcc, .....
27
28 So a reinstall it is. Fortunately, I had a maintenance OS on the same
29 HD, so the reinstall is occurring rapidly through a chroot.
33 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list