From: Alex Efros <powerman@×××××××.ua>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] hardened & ati-drivers
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:25:02
Hi!

Am I right what only way to have TV-out working on my Radeon 9800 Pro is:

    gcc-config 5 && source /etc/profile		# switch to vanilla gcc
    cd /usr/src/linux && make && ...		# recompile 2.6.11-hardened-r13
						# with vanilla gcc (agpgart
						# should be enabled, dri
						# disabled)
    USE="-dlloader -hardened" emerge xorg-x11
    paxctl -pemrxs /usr/bin/X
    emerge ati-drivers
    gcc-config 1

As far as I understand this way Xorg will not be protected by PaX, PIE
and SSP, ati-drivers and kernel will not be protected by PIE and SSP.
Everything else, including all other X-clients, will be protected by PaX,
PIE and SSP.

I got TV-out working this way yesterday, but I dislike switching to
vanilla-gcc for these three because I must remember to continue
switching between hardened/vanilla gcc each time xorg-x11, ati-drivers
or kernel will be upgraded/recompiled... :(

--
			WBR, Alex.