From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 18:57:28
1 Hi,
2
3 I don't have much to add, but I'd like to clear two misunderstandings
4 here:
5
6 On Mon, 8 May 2017 20:08:07 +0200
7 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
8
9 > And really since late in 2016 no more entries in the Changelog. Pls.
10 > note that I'm only stating the facts, not complaining.
11
12 AFAIK the Changelogs aren't updated anymore (in the whole gentoo tree).
13
14 > > * NSA SELinux instead PAX MPROTECT?
15 > I hope this is a joke. It looks like one, at first sight, but there
16 > are half a dozen "NSA SELinux" instances to be found in the latest
17 > hardened-sources.
18 >
19 > # grep 'NSA SE' /usr/src/linux/security/selinux/Kconfig
20 > bool "NSA SELinux Support"
21 > ...
22 > #
23 > (where linux is a hardened-sources installation)
24 >
25 > If hardened would be down to SELinux, I wouldn't be hardening any
26 > more.
27
28 SELinux isn't a patch applied by hardened-sources, it's a subsystem of
29 the mainline kernel. grsec was really the only significant difference
30 between hardened-sources and gentoo-sources.
31
32 Regards,
33 Luis