From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Mini Gentoo in VMWare
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:31:49
1 On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:11:44 -0500, Longman, Bill <longman@×××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 >> Well, this gets at my original musing...... are you really
5 >> safer with a
6 >> grsecurity-hardened-chrooted VMware application (with root
7 >> privileges,
8 >> that uses at least some of the host's kernel) or a
9 >> grsecurity-hardened-chrooted program with no privilege and only the
10 >> additional executables necessary to keep it running.
11 >>
12 >> And if the answer is yes, are you significantly safer?
13 >>
14 >> In one sense there'd be a thicker layer between the host and
15 >> the server,
16 >> but in another sense the added complexity and root host
17 >> privilege may add
18 >> vulnerabilities?
19 >>
20 >> (Sorry if this is foolish...... the answer seems less than obvious)
21 >
22 > Well, let's say the uberhackers crack your box and rm -r /*. How much is
23 > your time worth rebuilding from scratch? If the VM has been cloned, you
24 > just
25 > restart with the old VM. Takes about 12 seconds.
26 >
27 > Within that VM, you still have the option to run a hardened kernel or
28 > just
29 > chroot your services.
30 >
31 > The security angle is still a function of the inherent security of the
32 > service. If your creaky FTP server hasn't been patched in two years,
33 > that's
34 > probably the weakest link. If the OS affords a buffer overrun to occur,
35 > that's a more generic solution to ANY process on the system. Finally,
36 > it's a
37 > probability calculation between these factors. If your service is widely
38 > accessible, it's going to get hit more often than a protected one.
39 >
40 > At the ultimate step, the uberhackers 0wn your box. Will they be able to
41 > crack their way out of a process that provides them their OS? It's easy
43 > detect that you're living inside a VMWare VM, but why would you care?
44 > Why is
45 > the REAL OS any better?
46
47 THANK YOU for replying....... I'm over my head here.
48
49 So as a case in point, consider Snort and presume that it has a backdoor
50 (no overflow required)...
51
52 I run it as user snort which is unprivileged and does one thing - runs
53 snort in a hardened jail.
54
55 /jail/snort/bin contains:
58 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:06 ./
59 drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:06 ../
60 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 861372 Sep 3 16:06 bash*
61 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 861372 Sep 3 16:06 sh*
62
63 There is no root user or group defined within the jail. So IIUC, to do
64 what you suggested, he would use a backdoor to get to sh from snort, and
65 then change to user root, assume root privilege, break out of the jail,
66 and then be free to run rm? (presuming also that RBAC would allow root to
67 rm the box).
68
69 OTOH, if I ran Snort within a VM (within a hardened jail), my jail would
70 be running VM with root privileges, and if he cracked the VM, he'd already
71 have root privileges?
72
73 So I guess we're presuming that the risk of running VMWARE with user
74 "root" is more than compensated for by the robustness of the VMware player?
75
76 The other question has to do with VMware server vs player. I'd guess that
77 one constructs his "appliance" with the server, and then plays it with the
78 (smaller) player?
79
80 TIA, Newbie
83 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list