From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Anaconda as default installer?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:09:24
1 Hi,
2
3 The message on gentoo-core caught me a bit by surprise. Will anaconda be the
4 default gentoo installer? What about the GLIS project? Isn't anaconda a bit
5 against the "Choices" that Gentoo tries to sell? It first of doesn't allow
6 stage1/stage2 installs, and I don't know what other choices the user can't
7 make anymore. Is Anaconda really a best option here? Will it be available for
8 all architectures?
9
10 A second PoV is documentation-wise: having an Anaconda-installation needs a
11 whole new documentation. We can't use the existing knowledge as it all
12 happens behind the curtains. We can't integrate it with the current efforts
13 to centralise all documentation in the Gentoo Handbook as the "Installing
14 Gentoo" chapters works from command-line PoV.
15
16 What I really wanted to ask here: can I make public (on gentoo-doc) that
17 Gentoo is going to use an Anaconda-installer? It is very important that the
18 documentation team is informed about this (major) change and that new editors
19 are searched, and this with a sufficient timeframe, so that the
20 anaconda-related documentation and -changes are finished in time.
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen
26 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.