From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Profile switch: hardened to non-hardened?
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:03:24
1 > I've been able to do so; basically I switched over to the standard profile,
2 > disabled selinux in the kernel, and re-emerged system for new use flags.
3 > There were some other details but overall the process was pretty painless,
4 > anyone ambitious enough to configure a hardened system can probably handle
5 > the switch without much problem. Not that I'm encouraging you to drop
6 > hardened (especially on a laptop that could be exposed to random wifi
7 > networks ;-)
8
9 Is there any difference between 1 and 8 here? Should I switch to 8?
10
11 # eselect profile list
12 Available profile symlink targets:
13 [1] hardened/x86/2.6 *
14 [2] selinux/2007.0/x86
15 [3] selinux/2007.0/x86/hardened
16 [4] default/linux/x86/2008.0
17 [5] default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop
18 [6] default/linux/x86/2008.0/developer
19 [7] default/linux/x86/2008.0/server
20 [8] hardened/linux/x86
21
22 - Grant
25 >> Can I switch my laptop's profile from a hardened one to a non-hardened
26 >> one? I thought this was impossible without a complete reinstall but
27 >> folks on the gentoo-user list seem to think it's not a problem.
28 >>
29 >> - Grant