From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
Cc: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Russel Coker's SELinux policy
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:29:21
1 On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 09:24, Peter Simons wrote:
2 > just curious: How closely does the Gentoo policy resemble the one from
3 > Russel Coker? I'm asking because his policy is becoming the de facto
4 > standard, as it appears, and most of the interesting developments are
5 > in his distribution first of all. (Moments ago I read about his effort
6 > to secure the ssh daemon so that remote exploits will not gain you
7 > real privileges on the machine!)
8
9 Pretty hard to tell how similar the policies are. If you did a diff
10 between the policies, you'd probably come up with hundreds if not
11 thousands of changes. Generally, they're very similar.
12
13 Russell has done the Debian policy for a long time and has extensive
14 policy experience. He is also now employed by Red Hat to do SELinux
15 stuff. So, he's got his professional and personal time to do all sorts
16 of policy stuff. Since he has his hands in both of these policies, its
17 easy to see that his policy would be like de facto.
18
19 > How quickly do changes like this in his policy make it into the Gentoo
20 > policy? How difficult is it for the user (me) to import such changes
21 > myself? Have the Gentoo policy sources, generally speaking, changed
22 > much compared to his?
23
24 I don't look through his policy to try to find things. Russell is
25 pretty active in trying to get important changes into the NSA example
26 policy. I usually take these patches when appropriate. Depending on
27 the complexity of the change, it probably isn't advisable to try to
28 bring in his changes. If you attempt to incorporate changes from his
29 policy into yours, I suggest backing up your policy. If you don't
30 understand the possible side effects of the change, you could compromise
31 or just plain break your policy.
32
33 The Gentoo policy is based on the NSA example policy, but diverges from
34 the NSA policy in some areas. For example, the improved proc
35 restrictions are only in Gentoo policy right now. The Gentoo policy
36 also has a unified syslogd policy rather than separate syslog and klog,
37 to make syslog-ng and metalog work. I've also started adding other
38 arch-specifics to the Gentoo policy (these are mainly file context
39 additions). I have a PPC machine running a 2.6 kernel in enforcing (you
40 might have noticed the creation of the SELinux PPC profile).
43 Chris PeBenito
44 <pebenito@g.o>
45 Developer, SELinux
46 Hardened Gentoo Linux
47
48 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
49 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243