From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Project page changes, roadmap and support matrix
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:58:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have taken the liberty to update the SELinux subproject page a bit
4 (see [1], nothing major there). During the page review I thought about
5 adding the roadmap information on the SELinux subproject on the page.
6 However, Gentoo Hardened already has a roadmap page, so I looked at that
7 one, but have a few remarks:
8 - many subprojects' roadmap information isn't really "benchmarkable" or
9 however you'd like to put it. It is quite vague
10 - some roadmap entries are not assigned, but also do not have an affiliated
11 bug report
12 - some subprojects do not mention the strategic direction they want to take
13 - the page isn't very pleasing to read (and difficult to navigate by end
14 users)
15
16 So I tried to rewrite the roadmap, without actually removing anything (so
17 some of the remarks remain). The first try-out here is available at [2]. As
18 you can notice, the document is structured as follows
19 1. Vision = what is Gentoo Hardened all about
20 2. Strategy = how do we see our evolution to implement our vision
21 3. Goals and Milestones (Per Project)
22 a. Short information on the current state
23 b. Goals & Milestones for the project
24
25 The goals and milestones are described as
26 - a generic description what we want to do / achieve
27 - an estimated time to complete this goal / achieve the milestone
28 - state of the milestone (with colors - yay!)
29 - coordinators
30 - related bugs
31
32 I think that it would be interesting to have all this information available
33 per goal / milestone (except for unassigned milestones, they probably do not
34 have a coordinator yet). It forces the subproject's roadmaps to be clear and
35 to-the-point.
36
37 I understand that we're a volunteer-driven distribution, so the ETA is
38 something that is moving, but perhaps we can update this roadmap document
39 before each IRC meeting (or after) so that it is up to date for our users?
40
41 But I'm not finished yet - oh no. While I read through the existing roadmap
42 document, I noticed that some subprojects had their architecture support
43 mentioned as some sort of milestone. Why not create a support matrix
44 document instead? Such a document can then be used by end users to see if
45 their platform is supported or not (or support is on the way) for each
46 subproject.
47
48 As we are providing (part of) a distribution, I think many users are
49 interested in this. I tried making one [3] which shows the support matrices
50 for the Hardened Toolchain, grSecurity (although I have no idea what the
51 supported platforms are here) and SELinux. Of course, others can be added,
52 but those were the main ones that I found roadmap information on in the
53 first place.
54
55 So, what do you think? Is this separation of roadmap vs support matrix a
56 good idea? Is the name of the page (support-state.xml) valid or do you have
57 suggestions otherwise?
58
59 Also, I noticed that some documents talk about our project as "Gentoo
60 Hardened", others as "Hardened Gentoo". What is the title we give ourselves?
61 I always thought "Gentoo Hardened" is the correct one. "Hardened Gentoo" is
62 the result of applying the projects in "Gentoo Hardened" imo.
63
64 Wkr,
65 Sven Vermeulen
66