From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:46:14
1 Javier Juan Martínez Cabezón wrote:
2
3 > there is not
4 > a magic button "switch_off" as SELINUX.
5
6 and yet previously
7
8 >> UID 0 can't switch off nothing only role admin can do it, and usually
9 >> is not UID 0, in rsbac is UID 400.
10
11 >> DAC WOULD NEVER be secure without RBAC.
12
13 and yet this is DAC with chroot
14
15 > but yeah it's clear that is nearly
16 > impossible to get a remote hole in coreutils because they audit his
17 > code.....
18
19 > I only correct your mistakes and try to avoid that the user gets
20 > confused by you,
21 > I have been all the thread showing that you noexec implemention does not
22 > work and exposed the reason about this and probable solutions. If you
23 > are blind about this don't try to extend your blindness to the user
24 > that wants suggestions.
25
26 It is dismissive people like you giving excuses to developers to lower
27 the default security of Linux for all those desktops who can't spend
28 time on security and for which noexec would and could have prevented
29 exploits from downloads to the home directory and from usbs and so udev
30 potentially violating companies policies of users not running arbitrary
31 windows programs.
32
33 I certainly can't see an end user editing selinux or rsbac and a small
34 chance of apparmor or rbac in order to run Enemy Territory Quake Wars
35 or whatever "backlash" reverted noexec from the default mount options.
36
37 noexec could have immediately quashed the rubbish like "linux is
38 vulnerable to viruses too" publicity when the ld.so bug was found,
39 potentially keeping some on windows.
40
41 noexec is not useless and I maintain that arbitrary C code is far more
42 dangerous than perl or shell. It would also be rediculously easy
43 for script interpreters to check for noexec and die, heck a wrapper that
44 checked and changed the egid then allowing perl execution could do it.
45
46 "Maybe it is pointless because of usbonthego and all the past bugs in
47 the usb code upon insertions" (sarcasm)
48
49 It is no coincidence that most successful attacks come from phishing
50 and duplicated passwords. A far cry from RSBAC.
51
52 If anyone is misleading anyone, it is you. OpenBSD works for
53 itself (developers), it does not care even about it's users, if I was
54 trying to get people to use it, I would and could have come up with
55 chapters, in fact I stopped myself and have again now. I wouldn't do
56 that, I don't have time to do that and respect the gentoo hardened
57 community, the only things I have mentioned are ones that I would like
58 Linux developers to take note of such as bug reduction in the Linux
59 kernel and making it easier to track them. OpenBSD is a big part of my
60 life and so it is bound to slip out when offering advice.
61
62 Have you ever disabled ipv6? We could certainly do with ipv5 (just more
63 addresses)
64
65 As you seem to have spent time developing your RSBAC policies and if
66 you have spent time with grsecs rbac. I would be interested in what you
67 see makes rsbac worth that extra time over grsec rbac and any good
68 documents for using them. It seems to me that rsbac is more robust but
69 takes more time to develop the policies.
70
71 Kc