From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Updates: a way too simplified security question I am asking anyway
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:31:32
1 On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Jan Klod <janklodvan@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <snip rambling flame>
3
4 I'm not going to address each of the fallacies I see in your
5 statements, but you have an exceedingly idealistic view of software
6 development and particular OS' perceived security. [Insert project
7 here] may have a slogan, but the developers are still human and thus
8 still make mistakes and are inherently lazy. Short of being powered
9 by unicorn farts, there is no way any reasonably complex system can
10 approach that ideal.
11
12 In regard to your philosophy of updates, do you build a wall and not
13 defend it? Do you plant a garden and not water it? In the same
14 light, no system can be "permanently" secured. Safes are rated by the
15 amount of time it would take a dedicated, skilled cracker to open it;
16 none are ever deemed uncrackable. If you want more time, you purchase
17 [or build] one that better matches your needs. System security is no
18 different.
21 RB