From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux_startup_errors
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:10:19
1 I had my own problems with the recent LiveCD. It would get a good way
2 through the bootstrap and then it would lock up. Unfortunately, it
3 always seemed to do this when I wasn't watching, and by the time I
4 noticed, the screen would be blanked and pressing keys wouldn't revive
5 it. The solution was to use scripts/bootstrap-2.6.sh: That worked the
6 first time. I had intended to install gentoo-dev-sources anyway.
7
8 Additionally, I cannot find any of the stages on the Live CD. It seems
9 like they should be there, since it's 100 MB, but I have the CD mounted
10 how (and livecd.loop on the loopback) and they just aren't there. Maybe
11 this is by design.
12
13 In any case, I got the stage1 using wget. Incidentally, I do it this
14 way:
15
16 wget -O - <stage tarball URL> | tar xvfj -
17
18 This way there is no intermediate file.
19
20 I still don't really have a good grip on SELinux, though. For example,
21 once I'm in enforcing mode, it seems that I can't run emerge, even if
22 I'm using the sysadm_r role. The reason for this seemed to be that
23 /usr/bin/emerge was a symlink to ../lib/portage/bin/emerge. I added
24 /usr/bin/emerge into the profile, and relabeled, and then it worked.
25
26 Another related problem is with portage itself. Emerge won't let you
27 merge packages unless you are actually root. With SELinux, it's not a
28 matter of being root, but being in the sysadm_r role. So it prevents a
29 normal user with the right role from merging packages, even though they
30 have the correct privileges from a filesystem perspective; and it allows
31 root to merge packages, even though root might not be in the sysadm_r
32 role and NOT have the correct privileges. The root test is correct from
33 a non-SELinux perspective, though. (Well, mostly. A user in the portage
34 group ought to at least be able to build binary packages, I think.)
35
36 On the systems I have now, I give someone else sudo access so they can
37 update package. I don't know if sudo is really compatible with SELinux
38 or not. But presently to do updates, you'd have to su, which requires
39 giving out the root password, and then newrole -r sysadm_t. I thought
40 one of the points of doing SELinux was that you could take all special
41 privileges from root (i.e. sysadm_r, staff_r) and make them a normal
42 user (or with even less privileges than a normal user). But it doesn't
43 seem feasible without some portage changes.
44 --
45 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
46 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA
50 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list