From: Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Securing dhcpcd (client)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:47:16
1 On Monday 09 October 2006 07:26, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > It is my understanding that dhcpcd client requires root or a
3 > privileged user. Am presently running dhcpcd in a chroot jail (ssp and
4 > grsecurity-hardened kernel) as user root (ugh). (This is a laptop used
5 > at hotspots, so I think I need to use dhcp).
6 >
7 > Other distributions distribute dhcpcd with a "paranoia" patch incorporated
8 >
9 > <http://www.episec.com/people/edelkind/patches/dhcp/dhcp-2.0+paranoia.patch
12 > which allows the dropping of privilege and changing of user/group after
13 > startup.
14 >
15 > Questions:
16 >
17 > 1 Does Gentoo have an "official" way to apply this patch.
18 >
19 file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org and have it included for everyone.
20
21 > 2 Presuming that it doesn't, I guess that I'll ebuild unpack: patch
22 > the source manually; ebuild merge !?
23 yes that will work.
26 > 3. Are there other ways to deal with this potential vulnerability
27 > (privileged process listening on an open port (68) )? (e.g. using
28 > selfdhcp and effecting a manual connection?)
29 port forward to a higher port? use xinetd or tcpserver to listen. setup
30 selinux rules. Your patch is probably the best option though.
33 > TIA, newbie
36 Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
37 Gentoo Foundation
38 --