From: "Claes Gyllenswärd" <letharion@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:33:23
2009/9/30 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>

> Gordon Malm wrote: > >> It is my estimation that flag was disabled by mistake on the >> hardened/linux/${arch} profiles. I have re-enabled it. Should be fixed on >> your next sync >> > > Yearggg... oh bother... > > It's been like that for a whilst so I took it as a hint and just updated 8 > servers this way... > > I *think* I actually have very little need for nls? I believe that given > it's "a server" and given only admins who all speak the same language will > access it, then the only times I need nls are for specific client > applications which need translation? So as near as I can tell I only need > it for certain web applications (PHP, squirrelmail, etc) - can someone > confirm or deny that this is a correct understanding of how nls actually > works out? > > The main reason I care is that I have a lot of linux-vservers and it's > obviously helpful to sync USE flags across as many machines as practical in > order to make use of binary packages. > > Anyone care to comment on why else I might care to standardise on nls > enabled or disabled for a mail/web server type installation? > > It's been very deliberately marked as removed, so I wondered if there was a > history of bugs in gettext which argued for it not to be on by default? > > Cheers > > Ed W > > I have absolutely zero technical information to give you, but basically
under the same assumption as you just presented, I have run my server with -nls for a long time. Even my home desktop has -nls. This may be really stupid for all I know, but I never noticed a problem. I'm Swedish, so I'm not natively english-speaking, but I do run everything in english language environments.