From: Hans-Thomas Mueller <htmue@×××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Production server security
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:29:59
1 Another option instead of Xen or SELinux is to set up vservers_, with
2 Grsec+Pax. The performance impact is minimal but you still get clean
3 and isolated environments for your services.
4
5 SELinux gives some additional security indeed but is quite expensive
6 to administer -- unless you run only pre-configured packages on your
7 server. Once you start running your own software you spend much time
8 writing policies. I have run some SELinux servers a while ago and I
9 won't do it again unless absolutely necessary. I see the use of
10 SELinux mainly in fine-grained control of interactions of human users
11 with shell accounts in a high security environment. Servers should
12 be as simple as possible, I think.
13
14 Regards,
15 Hans-Thomas