From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "mike@××××.org" <mike@××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Hardened Laptop System Available
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:18:06
1 Mike,
2
3 By chance are you ready to submit a cryptoswap-0.03.ebuild?
4
5 On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 08:02, mike@××××.org wrote:
6 > Your method for supporting encrypted root partitions looks pretty good. Here
7 > are some comments:
8 >
9 > First, I think it is key that the creation of this system is automated and
10 > included in the Gentoo installation process.
11 >
12 > Good:
13 >
14 > o your idea of not trusting the boot process is great!
15 > o your documentation is pretty strong, including kernel configuration
16 >
17 > Potential room for improvement:
18 >
19 > o perhaps we can think of a better boot process trust protocol?
20 > o why not use romfs instead of minixfs? Is minixfs smaller?
21 > o why can't usb and crypto be modules, loaded by linuxrc? (this is kind of
22 > picky)
23 > o why use GPG when a symetric system will do?
24 > o no PPC -- but perhaps I can help, as you mentioned
25 >
26 > So, great work overall! I am considering whether I should continue to work
27 > on my system or begin contributing to yours. Perhaps two competing systems
28 > would encourage innovation...
29 >
30 > By the way, my system is available at
31 > http://www.flyn.org/projects/cryptoswap/index.html.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Mike