From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened gcc-4
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:54:58
1 Hi!
2
3 Solars mail raised some questions for me.
4
5 On tor, 2008-01-17 at 11:57 -0800, Ned Ludd wrote:
6
7 > Of course there is the KQ overlay. For those who simply want basic
8 > hardening that have no desire to wait for it to hit the tree. I'd
9 > suggest just unmasking gcc-4, build it and then injecting some gcc
10 > specs to handle it auto building hardened alike bins.
13 As I understand this KQ's overlay is just basic hardening? How does this
14 differ (if it does) from solars first suggestion?
15
16 Is the stuff hitting portage base on KQ's or will it be based on
17 something diffrent (is KQ's worth toying with it or does it seem more
18 like the final implementation can be something breaking it)?
19
20 And is there any status of when it will hit portage (does not need to be
21 a timeframe, more like if there are mayor problems to overcome in the
22 implementation or if it is just a "minor" (maybe not that minor as the
23 problems that can arise from it are not that minor) thing like concerns
24 about breaking toolchain, or someone have not had the time to review it
25 well enough)?