From: Manuel Leithner <manuel.leithner@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] No interfaces in wireshark
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:49:23
1 On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:40:58 +0100, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 12:33 -0800, Grant wrote:
3 > > I've installed wireshark on my laptop but it isn't showing any
4 > > interfaces. I have eth0 and wlan0 (USB wireless). Could this be a
5 > > hardened issue? There isn't anything in dmesg.
6 > >
7 > > - Grant
10 > Probably not.
13 > --
14 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
15 > Gentoo Linux
20 Correct.
21 Since Wireshark uses libpcap trickery, you need to be root to run it.
22 Now, considering the horrible track record of wireshark when it comes to security flaws - which OpenBSD dropped it for, btw - you're probably better off capturing (as root) with dumpcap or tcpdump and then analyzing the traffic in wireshark.
23
24 dumpcap -w outfile -i eth0