From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Targets
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:01:18
1 Hi there !
2
3 I'm quite new to Gentoo, and I looked for something hardened that I can
4 control entirely from kernel build to use. So I found Gentoo-Hardened (then
5 I started to have less and less time... strange).
6 My aim is to have an hardened host which will build hardened targets.
7 Targets will then be deployed on real machines by installing them or by
8 running them on a LiveCD.
9 The main problem I can see from my rookie level is that I want each target
10 to be built with its own version of GCC/LIBC/(basethings) and its own
11 "snapshot" of a portage tree at a T time. I want the final target to be
12 buildtools-less, portage-less,
13 almost-everything-except-the-kernel-and-bash-less...
14
15 I don't know how to achieve that. I looked to Catalyst but I don't like some
16 points : it uses profiles (and I would have to maintain many profiles, which
17 seems hard as custom profile are not easily usable), its internal mechanic
18 is 'hidden', and for LiveCD or Stage4, it has a substractive behavior (it
19 keeps everything from previous stages from where it builds, then it unmerges
20 and removes things to get the final target).
21
22 I would prefer a "2 step" additive way. Step 1 : I would like to build, for
23 each target, a "build" dir which contains an hardened toolchain with
24 specified versions of GCC/LIBC/etc, Step 2 : then from this build dir I
25 would emerge things I need by hand from zero in a target dir, and build a
26 kernel.
27
28 Is someone having some ideas on that ?
29 Many thanks in advance :)
32 Pierre.
33 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
34 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
35 Bill Watterson