From: Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] novice question regarding SU and TTY
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 14:49:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I've recently installed a gentoo box with the hardend
4 profile + hardened-sources so I'm new to all this.
5
6 I have two basic questions that I can't seem to
7 answer.
8
9 1) SU:
10 on the non-hardened gentoo box I'm used to, I can
11 enter as root and then do a "su username" and a whoami
12 shows that username. However, in the hardened box,
13 issuing "su username" doesn't do anything and whoami
14 is still root. I can't see any log messages related to
15 this. Is this behavior normal?
16
17 2) TTY:
18 on my non-hardened gentoo I emerged sys-power/nut
19 which is a UPS monitoring tool and needs to access
20 /dev/ttySx. The nut driver is supposed to run under
21 the nut user/group which is also part of the tty
22 group. In other words, the application has correct
23 access to the device. However, in my hardened box
24 after emerging without errors and verifying that the
25 nut user was added to the tty group, the nut app fails
26 when trying to access /dev/ttyS0 and reports
27 "permission denied".
28
29 I'm sure all this is due to my lack of experience but
30 could someone please give me the big picture.
31
32 Thank you.
33
34 Vieri
40 Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.
41 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
42 http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html
43 --
44 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list