From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] My first hardened install
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 08:07:48
1 Matt Poletiek wrote:
2 > Hello all, I just finished installing hardened gentoo on an i686 dual
3 > p3 system and have some questions. I used the 2006.1 install CD and
4 > the stage3-hardened-2007.0 tarball. After configuring the kernel and
5 > recompiling the toolchain (binutils, gcc, virtual/libc) I did an
6 > 'emerge -e world'. This is my first hardened profile install but I
7 > have used the grsec patches on a kernel before (an amd64 system) and
8 > after rebuilding the toolchain then userland paxtest was killed on all
9 > but one or two types of stack execution.
10 >=20
11 > However, this time (on the dual p3 system) paxtest is still able to do =
12 a
13 > lot....
14
15 I'm not a hardened dev, but AMD64 systems would have hardware support
16 for non-executable pages, and thus software NX (by Pax) wouldn't be
17 required. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit
18
19 > Is this expected? Did I skip a step? Here is my kernel config.
20
21 > # Non-executable pages
22 > #
23 > CONFIG_PAX_NOEXEC=3Dy
24
25 I don't have a x86 system handy to compare this to, but don't you need
26 to select either page or segment-based NX?
27
28 Cheers
29
30 Andrew