From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened profile for desktops?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:02:57
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 07:15:40AM -0400, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
4 > >> I started a discussion on gentoo-user about the fact that the
5 > >> hardened profile appears to only be for servers and not desktops.
6 > >> I thought I'd check with you guys on this. Is that the case?
7
8 Actually, I see no reasons to NOT use hardened on desktops.
9
10 Only critical bug is broken VMware/VirtualBox on amd64+hardened.
11
12 Everything else is works fine on hardened AFAIK. Even unsupported
13 nvidia-drivers works fine (they needed for 3D acceleration in VMware).
14 Sometimes you need to get extra patches from bugzilla or run paxctl,
15 but this isn't too much headache to avoid it at cost of significantly
16 lower overall security.
19 WBR, Alex.