From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] BFS scheduler and GRSEC/PaX patches
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:04:06
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've merged together the BFS scheduler patch by Con Kolivas [1], and the
4 grsecurity patch[2]. There were some innocent mismatches and some not
5 so innocent. I hacked up the BFS patch so that it applies *after* the
6 hardened-sources patches which includes the grsecurity patch.
7
8 You can get the hacked up BFS patch at
9
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/misc/hardened-bfs-2.6.38.patch
11
12 GPG: http://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/misc/hardened-bfs-2.6.38.patch.asc
13
14 These are only available for 2.6.38. To apply, first
15
16 emerge =sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.6.38
17
18 then cd into /usr/src/linux-2.6.38-hardened and
19
20 patch -p 1 < /path-to/hardened-bfs-2.6.38.patch
21
22 Compile and enjoy(?) WARNING: This is untested in the wild. It works
23 on in a VM but should be considered unstable. Let me know if your
24 system doesn't blow up.
25
26 For those of you unfamiliar, BFS scheduler reduces latency on desktop
27 systems, especially under heavy load. So now you can run your desktop
28 fast and hard. (I'm sure there's a bad pun in there somewhere :)
29
30 Refs
31
32 [1] http://users.on.net/~ckolivas/kernel/