From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New uclibc profiles will hit the tree soon
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:02:39
1 On 12/14/2012 05:31 AM, Ed W wrote:
2 > Hey, cool!
3 >
4 > Sorry, bit slow keeping up with the list. Great work though! I have been
5 > using x86 uclibc for a year now on an embedded router distro, so
6 > completely behind this. With new uclibc+nptl there are generally very
7 > few build problems. Main problem is builds which exclude iconv and
8 > gettext... (eg glib needs some hacking)
9
10 Recent >glib-2.30.3 + uclibc is a real pita and breaking everything that
11 links against glib. I'm busy with other stuff but glib is the major
12 stumbling block now. I think the problem is in pthreads. I haven't had
13 time to git bisect it down to the breaking commit.
16 > Just a couple of random thoughts:
17 >
18 > - You pull in libiconv as a required package? Wasn't the complaint that
19 > this could cause problems with GCC upgrades later? Note I have some
20 > patches that I submitted in the past which allow uclibc to build a
21 > partly working iconv (almost certainly got bugs, but seems to pass the
22 > obvious tests)
23
24 In cross compiling with CHOST= a glibc system, uclibc iconv code builds
25 fine. But it does not build fine on a native uclibc system. Lots of
26 things need iconv now, even coreutils. See bug #445716.
29 > - You have -iconv as a git use, but I think most git ebuilds are forcing
30 > it back on again no matter what you say?
31
32 That's an old workaround. It should work now. Let me know.
35 > - You appear to mask nls? How about defaulting it to off rather than
36 > forcing it off? I'm still unclear what problems are actually caused by
37 > installing gettext? Seems like it can cause a permanent dep with gcc
38 > linking to it, but for some situations that is probably not the end of
39 > the world? Surely some people want nls on... (not me)
40
41 Okay but please test and open a bug. Tell me what arch you tested on,
42 exactly what change was made to the profiles etc.
46 > It would definitely be good to try and get people building uclibc with
47 > iconv - as in, hopefully people will file bugs and fix them and quickly
48 > we might end up with a proper working iconv in uclibc. Also canvasing
49 > for a mini gettext implementation for runtime use...
52 > Thanks for your work on this!
53
54 Pay me in beer or patches :)
58 > Ed W