From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tin Hat = hardened Gentoo distro in RAM
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:42:39
1 On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 08:24 -0400, dante wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > My students and I have started a new gnome-based desktop linux distro
5 > derived from hardened Gentoo. It may be of interest to people on this
6 > list.
7 >
8 > Tin Hat is pretty much Gentoo, but it runs purely in RAM. It boots from
9 > CD or pen drive, but is not a liveCD in that it doesn't mount a file
10 > system from the boot device. Rather it copies its squashfs from CD to
11 > tmpfs in RAM. Booting is slow, it requres 4 GB of RAM or more, but it
12 > is lightening fast once up. ("emerge --sync" takes about a minute
13 > between a Tin Hat system offering portage, and one sync-ing from
14 > scratch. Firefox starts in about 1 second.)
15 >
16 > Tin Hat was started before the recent coldboot attacks. Within the
17 > limit of such attacks, Tin Hat aims at "zero information loss" if
18 > physical access is obtained to a system which is powered down. We add
19 > Ruusu's loop-aes patch to the kernel so that any hard drives are mounted
20 > using one of the best implimentations of block cipher encryptions we
21 > know of. During power up, Tin Hat uses GRSEC/PaX hardening to hedge
22 > against all the usual attacks. We are now thinking about our own patch
23 > to obfuscate data in RAM to protect against coldboot --- but to be
24 > honest, we think we can only make it harder, not impossible.
25 >
26 > Tin Hat is stable. We run 6 systems persistently on clean power and
27 > have typical up times of a couple of months.
28 >
29 > We never intended on releasing Tin Hat, but the students love it so much
30 > (the speed!) we thought of announcing it on freshmeat. I thought I'd
31 > post to this list because of it is a successful implementation of
32 > hardened Gentoo.
33 >
34 > Home page: http://opensource.dyc.edu/tinhat
35 > Freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/tinhat
38 I absolutely love seeing others create things with hardened.
39
40 Feel free to keep this list apprised of regular updates.