From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 12:33:01
1 On Fri, 2022-08-05 at 16:56 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Good day from Singapore,
5 >
6 > Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?
9 There is no specific hardened version to download. When installing
10 Gentoo, you normally download and extract a generic system image called
11 a "stage3", tweak some configuration files, install some packages, and
12 then (ideally) re-compile everything that was in the stage3.
13
14 There are hardened versions of the stage3 archives -- just look for the
15 word "hardened" in the filename -- but for the most part, hardening
16 these days consists of setting USE=hardened in your make.conf, and in
17 building a kernel with additional hardening features. When you
18 recompile your system after setting USE=hardened during the
19 installation, you'll wind up with a "hardened Gentoo" system, insofar
20 as such a thing exists these days.