From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened with 1 user and 0 services?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:29:27
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 06:15:22AM -0800, Grant wrote:
4 > Are a hardened profile, kernel, and related USE flags beneficial on a
5 > machine on which only I log in and no ports are open?
6
7 If you open website, or download and run mp3, or download and open .xls,
8 etc. - do any action which result in receiving and processing complex data
9 format (i.e. not plain text :)), then there may be a security hole in
10 software which will process that data. In this case hardened MAY protect
11 you.
12
13 To be honest I never heard about hacking Linux workstation this way, Linux
14 is usually hacking by attacking network services.
15
16 But this way to hack is very popular on Windows, and nobody can guarantee
17 you'll never will be hacked this way on Linux (or course, on Linux only
18 your current user's account will be compromised, but if this attack will
19 result in removing all files in your home directory you will not be very
20 happy with the fact this attack doesn't compromised your root and other
21 user's accounts).
24 WBR, Alex.
25 --
26 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list