From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Gentoo SELinux 2006.1
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 04:58:57
1 So as you may recall, about a year ago I spoke about switching over
2 Gentoo SELinux to the reference policy with support for modular policy
3 [1]. Unfortunately I was too optimistic about the time table and was
4 hindered by an upstream bug [2], which was fixed only in the last couple
5 months [3]. After a lot of testing and some help from users in the IRC
6 channel, I believe we're finally ready for wide beta testing. One big
7 catch is that this SELinux upgrade requires glibc 2.4, and since that is
8 not available to hardened gcc users, those users will still have to
9 wait. For those that are not using hardened gcc, the upgrade guide [4]
10 is available. The SELinux handbook [5] has been updated with
11 documentation on the new SELinux management infrastructure, so please
12 browse it again to find the new parts.
13
14 One thing to note is that SECMARK network controls should not be enabled
15 as yet (the kernel option: NSA SELinux enable new secmark network
16 controls by default). This is new in 2.6.18, but unfortunately there
17 are still issues with these controls. The old controls will be used
18 instead (ports/nodes/netifs) until the SECMARK issues are ironed out.
19
20 Again, this should be considered beta quality, so this upgrade probably
21 shouldn't be performed on production/critical systems. This doesn't
22 mean that it is unsafe; I run this in enforcing on my server. If you
23 are able, please test. I'm hoping this can be stabilized by the end of
24 January.
25
26 [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-hardened&m=113433863728029&w=2
27 [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-hardened&m=114497328517270&w=2
28 [3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-hardened&m=115949405116099&w=2
29 [4] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux20061-upg.xml
30 [5] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml
34 Chris PeBenito
35 <pebenito@g.o>
36 Developer,
37 Hardened Gentoo Linux
38
39 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
40 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243