From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] flash player plugin
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:24:25
1 On 30 Nov 2007 at 2:17, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Latests "stable" in portage now is 2.6.22-hardened-r8. I remember
4 > discussion in this maillist about a week ago, with some hardened-related
5 > bug reported in .22 and .23 kernels. I'm not sure is that fix already
6 > included in .22-r8, that's why I doesn't upgrade yet. Do you know which
7 > .22 or .23 ebuilds already contain your fix for that bug?
8
9 .22 won't be fixed, we're working on .23 only. latest grsec has
10 all the necessary fixes, i don't know if there's an ebuild with
11 that yet though.
12
13 > > thanks, i reproduced it with that site now. it seems that (probably)
14 > > flash resorts to some runtime code generation, therefore chpax/paxctl
15 > > -m on firefox and that opera wrapper is enough to get it to work, no
16 > > need to disable non-exec pages altogether. not that it's a good solution
17 >
18 > Yep, -m is what I tried first, but it won't help, so I tried another flags.
19
20 what problems did you have with -m alone? i know it worked here...
21
22 > Just to be sure I understand you correctly, this issue is in flashplayer
23 > plugin itself, and only Adobe can fix it (which is unlikely, I think).
24
25 yes it seems so (it'd take a whole lot more debugging to pin down the
26 exact code that generated the code at runtime, but given that it occurs
27 with adobe's flashplayer, it's a safe but who the culprit is).
28
29 > So only possible choice is relax PaX for browsers :( or just don't use
30 > flash applets which won't work without relaxing PaX. Correct?
31
32 or as a third option, use another flash player, although your particular
33 page doesn't seem to work with anything else i tried but adobe's.
36 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list