From: Marcel Meyer <meyerm@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Setting up a (more) secure notebook
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:41:32
1 Am Sonntag, 22. November 2009 17:38:02 schrieb schism@×××××××××.org:
2 > It doesn't really make sense because you're not protecting against a
3 > "casual" attacker at this point anyway. All FDE protects against is
4 > powered-down physical compromise (typically theft or loss). The moment
5 > your threat model includes a malicious attacker returning ownership to
6 > you, you've gone way beyond the "by-chance-hacker" assessment and deeply
7 > into espionage territory. At that point, if the attacker has had
8 > manipulative access to your boot media, nothing short of hardware-level
9 > measurements is really going to "guarantee" the safety of your data. I
10 > also refer you to http://xkcd.com/538/.
11
12 Hehe, this comic is very true. Even though I didn't try to hide from
13 government or highly criminal guys, I guess you are right that the "by-chance-
14 hackers" won't be able to do anything which will get prevented by this way of
15 doing it.
19 > There's nothing stopping you from this pursuit, it simply isn't going to
20 > protect against what you may think it does. It adds unnecessary
21 > complexity for that purpose, and complexity just adds more opportunities
22 > for failure and subversion. If you find it convenient, that's just up
23 > to you.
24
25 Well, I guess I'll let it be for the time beeing.
26
27 Thank you for the discussion!