From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, linuxgeek71 <linuxgeek71@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] X won't start.
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:26:02
1 > Duplicate symbol __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fo
2 > p.a:bitmapmod.o
3 > Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
4 >
5 > The only way I have been able to fix it is to recompile gcc without the
6 > hardened use flag and then recompile xfree. Does anyone have any idea
7 > how I can run a hardened system and still use X?
8
9 first of all, even if you can compile X with the elf loader (as in
10 your case above) it would not work under PaX, you have to use a
11 static server or the dlloader for that. latter is work in progress
12 (or lots of manual work) so that leaves a static server for now, and
13 if you need 3rd party binary drivers then you can't do even that, you
14 have to disable PaX on your X server.
15
16 second, the above error is the result of hardened gcc forcefully
17 compiling the .o files of libbitmap.a with -fPIC and some problem
18 in the elfloader that doesn't take into account that the symbol
19 in question is marked as hidden and thus should not be visible
20 outside of a .o file let alone generate duplicate symbol errors.
24 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list