From: Emre <ghard@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] selinux 2004.1
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:36:38
1 Hi, I installed selinux to try it out, and I have several problems. Since I am
2 running it on a workstation -- I know, workstations are not supported yet--
3 therefore I am using permissive mode:
4
5 SELinux status: enabled
6 SELinuxfs mount: /selinux
7 Current mode: permissive
8 Policy version: 17
9
10 Policy booleans:
11 user_ping inactive
12
13 1. After I su to root and try /etc/init.d/xxx restart, I get:
14
15 cannot find your entry in the passwd file.
16 authentication failed.
17
18 But if I login from console, then it works ok. I made sure I installed selinux
19 version of required packages. Su doesn't seem to change the roles/types..
20 I tried newrole, but same error. What am I missing?
21
22 2. I had moved several portage directories to some other partitions. Because
23 of that this happens:
24
25 euse -i selinux
26 EUSE exiting with following errors:
27 requires read permissions for /etc/make.profile/../use.desc.
28 requires read permissions for /etc/make.profile/../use.local.desc.
29
30 This may be related to symlink following security restriction in the kernel.
31 Is there a workaround to this problem? I started grepping use.desc manually.
32
33 3. Several times I had to go and modify /etc/make.profile/virtuals. Default
34 virtuals only has:
35
36 virtual/bootloader sys-boot/grub
37 virtual/linux-sources sys-kernel/selinux-sources
38 virtual/ruby dev-lang/ruby
39
40 I can't emerge update system! e.g. I had to add "virtual/glibc
41 sys-libs/glibc" by hand as fourth entry, and even more is required. I
42 considered copying some other virtuals over this one, but it will go away
43 after next emerge sync. I have the latest portage 2.0.50-r6.
44
45 4. Is there a graphical tool to create custom .fc, .te? Any pointer to sample
46 policy creation? I will go ahead try to vi some, but it would be nice to have
47 one guide. Any directions to posting new custom security policies, or
48 obtaining test-versions from a pool would also help.
49
50 5. How much overhead labeling create on a filesystem with millions of files ?
51 If I ever want to remove those xattrs from a filesystem, how can I unlabel
52 those millions of files, if there is any way to reclaim space those extended
53 atrributes sits on?
54
55 Best,
56 Emre