From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux updates
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:07:34
1 There are several bits of news:
2
3 * The updated livecd and stages have been moved to the mirrors:
4 http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/hardened/
5
6 * I'm going to be releasing a new base-policy that has one large change
7 plus (in addition to a few minor fixes), which changes the behavior or
8 sysadm_r. I have removed sysadm_r's access from almost all files except
9 the obvious ones, such as in /etc, /root, /usr/src, etc. This is to
10 increase the separation between portage_t and sysadm_t. The
11 admin_separation tunable controls this behavior. Since we are
12 security-oriented, this is default on. Of course, those who want the
13 previous behavior can disable admin_separation to regain the access.
14 The daemon policies in portage will soon be updated accordingly.
15
16 * The NSA has stopped maintaining the 2.4 SELinux patches. We will try
17 to update them as long as we can; however, this means that the days are
18 numbered for selinux-sources, and hardened-sources-2.4.*/with
19 USE=selinux. 2.4 Users are encouraged to begin evaluating 2.6 for use.
20
21 * The 2.6.8 kernel will have some new SELinux classes for security
22 enhanced X. The problem is that these will collide with our PaX
23 support. This means that the kernel and the policy will have to be
24 updated at the same time, as the kernel will not load a policy whose
25 headers don't match its own. When 2.6.8 comes out, I will put out a
26 policy with the new headers, and also bump all kernels that have the PaX
27 SELinux hooks. Fortunately the PaX headers have been accepted upstream,
28 so this won't happen again. 2.6.8 will also bring policy version 18,
29 since fine-grained netlink socket support has been added.
32 Chris PeBenito
33 <pebenito@g.o>
34 Developer,
35 Hardened Gentoo Linux
36 Embedded Gentoo Linux
37
38 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
39 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243