From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Help testing new hardened profiles structure
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 21:46:10
1 Hi hardened users,
2
3 You may have heard by now that hardened is thinking of changing its
4 profile structure. The current structure is crazy complex and there is
5 no need for it. Basically we're going to be removing the versioning in
6 our profiles so that instead of
7
8 [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0 *
9 [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
10
11 you will simply get
12
13 [8] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0 *
14 [9] hardened/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
15
16 to profile-config list. (It'll be similar on the other arches). Behind
17 the scenes, we are also deprecating the various "sub-profiles" which
18 aren't even included in the profiles.desc list, like amd64/10.0/desktop,
19 /server, /developer etc.
20
21 This isn't happening soon, so don't panic! You will get a portage news
22 item when we're about to do the switch and we will proceed slowly.
23
24 I'm emailing the list to sollicit help in testing, espeically on the
25 minor arches which are slatted to go first. If you'd like to help out,
26 here's how:
27
28 1. Record your current list from emerge -ep system and emerge -ep world
29
30 2. git clone git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/hardened-dev.git
31
32 3. cd hardened-dev
33
34 4. git branch profiles origin/profiles
35
36 5. git checkout profiles
37
38 6. mount --bind profiles/ /usr/portage/profiles
39
40 7. Record your emerge -ep system and emerge -ep world, and compare to
41 before.
42
43 There should be no or only minor changes.
44
45 Thanks.
48 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
49 Gentoo Developer