From: Andrew Ross <aross@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] My first hardened install
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 08:12:07
1 lnxg33k wrote:
2 > Matt Poletiek wrote:
3 >> However, this time (on the dual p3 system) paxtest is still able to do
4 >> a lot....
5 > <snip>
6 >> # Sysctl support
7 >> #
8 >> CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_SYSCTL=y
9 >> CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_SYSCTL_ON=y
10 >
11 > I believe this is the problem here. sysctl is used to modify the kernel
12 > so by enabling its usage, one can essentially have their way. If you
13 > disable sysctl support, it will probably fix most of those vulnerabilities.
14
15 Not true - the grsecurity settings can't be modified via sysctl once
16 kernel.grsecurity.grsec_lock is set.
17
18 That said, I do not have grsec sysctl support enabled in any of my kernels.
19
20 Cheers
21
22 Andrew