From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: Gentoo Hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 11:49:34
1 Hello,
2
3 in case anyone hasn't read in on LWN yet, here's what I'm talking
4 about: https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton.php
5
6 In short, the grsecurity upstream folks decided they don't give a shit
7 about the benefits of open source anymore <rant>even though their work
8 wouldn't even possible without those very benefits; isn't it
9 ironic?</rant>.
10
11 So, hardened-sources just got nuked from orbit, without even so much
12 as an advance warning. What happens now? I suppose we all just
13 grudgingly switch over to gentoo-sources? Or does anyone have the time
14 and knowledge to try and continue maintenance of some of the juicy bits
15 of the patchset?
16
17 Regards,
18 Luis
19
20 PS: <rant>Isn't is lovely how their FAQ features two paragraphs
21 explaining their rationale for the switch, yet fails to mention any
22 reason why those goals couldn't be achieved with the current release
23 model? They could've at least showed the basic decency of outright
24 saying "we're doing this because we need the money". I mean, I
25 don't blame them for trying to make a living, but this corporate
26 buzzword-speech is certainly annoying to read.</rant>